- Set the lamp in position on your headboard. Lightly trace the base onto the wood of your headboard, using a pencil.
- Remove the base. Measure the distance of the power cord from the sides of the base, using a ruler. Locate and mark that position on the outline you drew on the headboard.
- Drill a 1 1/2-inch-diameter hole at the point you marked. This will be big enough to accommodate the power cord. If you don't have an auger bit, drill multiple, overlapping holes with the largest drill bit you have.
- Set the lamp in place, passing the power cord through the hole you've drilled. Mount the lamp to your headboard, using the wall-mount instructions that came with it. Usually this means attaching it via the screws that come with the lamp, using a screwdriver or a drill and screwdriver bits.
Things You Will Need
- Power drill
- 1 1/2-inch auger bit
- Screwdriver or screwdriver bits
- Wall-mounted lamp
- Place the lamp where there will be enough space for the fixture and at least 6 inches of clearance between the bulb and anything flammable.
- If you're not experienced with electrical work, buy lamps that come complete with power cords. Pass the cord through the hole and plug it in. Only use fixtures that require actual wiring work if you're experienced and confident with your abilities.