- Build the twin bed base. Select two 65-inch 2x6s and two 28-inch 2x6s. Set the two 65-inch sections side by side with one 28-inch section inside each end. Firmly press the end of the 65-inch sections to each 28-inch section's outer edge, and nail the two pieces together, placing a nail every 2 inches along the height of the 2x6. Repeat this at each corner to create a rectangular base structure.
- Create the frame. Lay the two 77-inch 2x6 sections vertically with one 40-inch 2x6 along the inner edge of each end. Secure these pieces at each corner by applying three nails spaced 2 inches apart along the width.
- Attach the end platform slats. Select two 40-inch 2x6 boards and attach them to the head and foot of the frame. Lay the platform frame flat and lay one 40-inch section flat on the ground, along the inner edge of each end. Place a nail every 2 inches along each outer side, and every 4 inches along the base end. Attach the opposite end in the same manner.
- Attach the remaining slats. Measure the space between the two 2x6 inner end slats. Divide this area by five to determine how far apart each slat will be placed. Space these slats along the bottom of the frame, and nail them in place with two nails at each end.
- Attach the frame to the base. Place the platform frame on top of the base, creating a 6-inch overhang on each side. Once the frame is lined, attach the frame to the base by applying two nails at each location along the base where the 2x4 boards cross the 2x6 base.
- Finish the platform bed. Lay the plywood inside of the frame. Place the mattress inside of the frame.
Things You Will Need
- Two 2x6s, 77-inches
- Four 2x6s, 40-inches
- Two 2x6s, 65-inches
- Two 2x6s, 28-inches
- One 1/2-inch plywood, 74 by 40 inches
- Five 2x4, 40-inches
- One box of nails
- Tape measure
- Paint or stain the bed to achieve the desired appearance.
- If you are creating a platform for a full size mattress (54 by 75 inches) the frame should be 57 by 77 inches. The base will need to be 42 by 63 inches.
- If you are creating a platform for a queen size mattress (60 by 80 inches) the frame should be 63 by 82 inches. The base will need to be 48 by 68 inches.
- If you are creating a platform for a king size mattress (76 by 80 inches) the frame should be 79 by 82 inches. The base will need to be 64 by 68 inches.