- Place the curtains on a flat surface. Scrape off the excess oil with the plastic spoon and discard in the trash.
- Sprinkle an absorbent material --- such as baking soda, baby powder or cornstarch --- over the oil stain. Allow the absorbent material to sit on the curtain for 15 minutes.
- Remove the absorbent material with the upholstery attachment connected to your vacuum. Alternatively, take the curtains outside and gently shake or brush the absorbent material off with your hand.
- Apply a dry-cleaning solvent to a clean cloth. Blot --- do not rub --- the oil stain with the cloth. Begin at the edge of the stain and blot while moving toward the center. Continue blotting until you have removed all traces from the curtains.
- Apply a pretreat stain remover to the curtain. Allow the stain remover to sit on the curtain for 15 minutes. Launder your curtains in cool water as you normally would.
How to Remove Oil Stains From Curtains
Oil stains --- whether it be motor or cooking oil --- are difficult to remove from fabrics such as curtains. The oil adheres to the fibers of the curtains and merely laundering in your washer will not remove the stains. Oil stains can and will ruin the look of your curtains. However, before you toss the stained curtains in the trash, try a few home remedies that can successfully remove the oil stain and restore the look of your curtains.