How to Remove Mold on Timber
When timber gets wet and remains so, the chance of mold growing on the wood increases. Mold will continue to grow as long as there is moisture on the timber. Once dried out, the growth will stop. Moldy timber cannot be used to build with as once it is enclosed in a space, such as the interior of the home, it is no longer able to dry out efficiently, causing more mold growth which can cause health concerns. While prevention of mold growth is easier than cleaning it up, there are ways to remove the mold from timber once it occurs.
Spray the mold down with a commercial mold and mildew remover. Make sure you are in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling the chemicals in the remover. Coat moldy areas of timber thoroughly. Read manufacturer's instructions for any special considerations for the brand that you purchase.
Scrub any areas, using a scrub brush, on the timber where the mold is visibly growing. The scrub brush will help to remove thick areas of mold.
Pressure wash the area to remove the commercial mold remover and to clean off any remaining mold.
Dry the timber at least 24 hours in a well-ventilated area. Do not use timber until it has dried completely.
Things You Will Need
- Commercial mold remover
- Scrub brush
- Pressure washer