- Lift the lid of the brine tank, which is sometimes called a well. Set it aside.
- Mix a solution of commercial rust remover and water in a bucket. Use anywhere from 1/2 cup of rust remover per one gallon of water, to a much stronger solution of one cup remover per 1/2 gallon water. Follow the product's instructions.
- Pour the solution into the brine tank.
- Switch the unit's setting to "Regenerate," and wait as the solution washes through the brine tank and flushes the system.
- Repeat this process in a water softener with excessive rust content. Regenerate after each addition.
- Maintain a rust-free tank by adding rust remover periodically. Schedule maintenance for every three months, or whenever salt is added.
Things You Will Need
- Rust removal product
- Add rust removal product when the softener is in a brining cycle and salt levels are low; follow by adding salt as usual.
- Buckets and containers used to mix the solution are safe for use after thorough washing.
- Your water softener control head may vary; consult product instructions to determine how to regenerate.