How to Winterize a Whirlpool Dishwasher
Cold weather brings snow, skiing and outdoor fun, but it also brings freezing temperatures and the chance of frozen pipes and plumbing problems. If you are turning the heat off for the winter in a home, you must drain appliances that may have water inside, such as your dishwasher. Luckily, winterizing a Whirlpool dishwasher isn't difficult and is a task that can be completed in just a few minutes.
Open up the door on the Whirlpool dishwasher.
Pour a quart of RV (Recreational Vehicle) antifreeze into the dishwasher pump. This is located at the lowest point in the floor of the dishwasher. The holes in the bottom of the dishwasher are the drainage holes for the pump. Pour the antifreeze into these holes.
Close the dishwasher door.
Run the pump for your dishwasher. How this is done depends on the model. You only need to run a short cycle, just enough to fill the pump with the antifreeze. On an electronic Whirlpool dishwasher, select the "Rinse" cycle. Listen for the whirring noise of the pump. Press "Off" or "Cancel" when you hear it turn on. On a Whirlpool dishwasher with a manual timer, start the machine on "Rinse" and then slowly turn the timer by hand until you hear the pump start.
- RV antifreeze and automobile antifreeze are not the same thing. RV antifreeze is safe to use in appliances that come into contact with dishes, clothes and humans.
Nathan McGinty started writing in 1995. He has a Bachelor of Science in communications from the University of Texas at Austin and a Master of Arts in international journalism from City University, London. He has worked in the technology industry for more than 20 years, in positions ranging from tech support to marketing.
- How to Remove the Lower Arm Assembly on a Kenmore Ultra Wash Dishwasher
- How to Prime a Jacuzzi Pump
- How to Replace the Wash Pump in an Electrolux Dishwasher
- How to Replace the Pump Motor in an LG Dishwasher
- How to Remove Tomato Stains From a Dishwasher
- How to Remove the Lower Arm From a Kenmore 665 Dishwasher