- Spray the deck with oxygen bleach deck cleaner. Scrub the deck with a long-handled deck scrubbing brush. Rinse the deck with a high-pressure washer. Wash in the direction of the wood grain, holding the nozzle 10 inches from the deck's surface and moving it in a sweeping motion.
- Apply deck brightener to the deck using a mop or a paint roller. Use a paintbrush for narrow areas. Rinse the deck brightener with the high-pressure washer. Leave the deck to dry for 2 to 3 days.
- Paint the deck with deck water seal. Clear or tinted deck water seals are available. Use a paintbrush for narrow areas and a paint pad with a long handle for broad surfaces. Paint in the direction of the wood grain.
- Wash the deck periodically, scrubbing it with oxygen bleach cleaner and rinsing with fresh water. Refinish the deck every 2 to 3 years by painting it with a new coat of deck water seal, as in the previous step.
Things You Will Need
- Oxygen bleach deck cleaner
- Long-handled scrub brush
- High-pressure cleaner
- Deck brightener
- Paint roller or mop
- Deck water seal
- Paint pad with handle
- Keep the deck swept of wet debris such as leaves to prevent discoloration.
- An awning or a patio cover will provide shade over the deck, preventing sun damage.
- Use only biodegradable products to prevent environmental damage.