- Turn off the drill press and unplug the machine.
- Turn the "Depth Scale" wheel, which is the three-pronged wheel above the chuck, to 3 inches.
- Rotate the chuck by hand so that the two keyholes are visible in the vertical opening in the spindle. The spindle is the piece located just above the chuck.
- Insert the key wedge into the keyholes. The key wedge is a proprietary tool included with the the Craftsman drill press. The key wedge is a piece of metal with two prongs on the end that fit snugly into the two holes.
- Place one hand below the chuck, then tap the key wedge lightly with a mallet until the chuck falls out of the spindle.
How to Remove the Chuck on a Craftsman Drill Press
Craftsman manufactures many types of power tools and lawn equipment. One of the power tools manufactured by the company is a drill press, which allows for quick and precise drilling of many different materials. Unlike a handyman's common hand-held drill, Craftsman drill presses are stationary: They're available as floor-supported models and table-top models. The drill bit is secured by a chuck that is loosened and tightened around the bit to hold it in place. If the chuck on your Craftsman drill press is damaged, you can remove it and install a new one.