How to Remove an Odor From a Guitar Case
Guitar cases, especially those with fabric linings, can easily pick up odors. A guitar case which has been left in a closet or an attic for a long period of time will pick up moisture smells which will lead it to be musty and unappealing. If you wish to get rid of smells from within your guitar case, then a few homemade remedies will quickly remove any problem, although it is best to keep a guitar case away from damp areas.
Remove your guitar case from where it is being stored. Musty attics or closets will quickly transfer their smell to a guitar case. Take your guitar out of the case, and leave the case open in the fresh air. This may help in the process of removing the odor.
Place baking soda in a bowl with water and place this in your closed guitar case overnight. This will remove excess moisture from the air inside the case and will effectively draw the musty smell out. Leave the guitar case open in the fresh air by day, and with the baking soda bowl by night, and this will remove the smell quickly.
Vacuum the case to remove dirt particles which may become moldy. Ensure that you vacuum all of the corners and creases of your case where dirt can become lodged. Doing this once every two weeks will stop your case from becoming smelly and will help maintain your case and your guitar.
Clean the inside of the guitar case using a rag and dish soap water. Gently rub the inside lining of the case until you have covered the whole case. Do this in the morning so that you can leave your guitar case open outside to dry during the day.
- If you are leaving your guitar case outside, bring it in if the weather changes. Do not let your guitar case stay outside in the rain. It is best to leave the guitar case on a porch where it will be protected from any sudden rain showers.
Emile Heskey has been a professional writer since 2008, when he began writing for "The Journal" student newspaper. He holds a Bachelor of Arts in modern history and politics from Oxford University, as well as a Master of Science in Islamic and Middle Eastern studies from Edinburgh University.
- guitar image by Hubert from Fotolia.com
- How to Clean the Odor of Vomit Out of Your Upholstery
- How to Make Your House Smell Really Clean
- How to Remove the Smell of Feta Cheese
- How to Remove the Back Filter Cover From a Kenmore Progressive Canister Vacuum Cleaner
- How to Stop the Mildew Smell in Storage Units
- Directions for How to Clean Hunter Air Purifiers