- Ensure the freezer is firmly plugged in to a three-pronged grounded outlet and, if necessary, make sure the outlet is switched on. Check that the temperature control dial inside the freezer is not set to "OFF" and that the outlet provides power. Plug a lamp into the outlet to check for electricity; if the lamp does not lightm make sure your household fuses or breakers are working correctly.
- Verify that the freezer door is able to close properly. Items stored in the freezer, ice buildup and misaligned shelves can prevent the door from closing, allowing cold air to escape and causing the freezer to malfunction. Make sure the door is able to close tightly and remove obstructions if necessary. An open door can cause the freezer to run longer, defrost or ice up.
- Examine the freezer gaskets for corrosion, wear or damage. The rubber gaskets that surround the freezer door provide an air-tight seal between the outside environment and the cold air inside the freezer. If the gasket is loose or damaged, the freezer will not cool as efficiently, causing it to run longer, defrost or ice up.
- Reconsider how you use your freezer. The freezer will run longer if the door is regularly opened, held open or warm items are placed inside. Limit the occasions on which you open the freezer door and never hold the door open for more than a few seconds. Only items already at room temperature are suitable for freezing. Confirm that the vents on the rear wall of the freezer are not blocked by food. The freezer can run longer or partially defrost without adequate airflow from the vents.
- Consider the environment and location of the freezer. Particularly warm weather will require the freezer to run longer to keep the stored food frozen. Move the freezer away from heat-generating appliances like ovens or clothes dryers and, ensure that there is adequate room for air to circulate all around the freezer.
- Contact Maytag for repair if these steps do not diagnose or resolve your freezer problems. You may be entitled to free service if your freezer is within its warranty period. Maytag can be reached on 800-688-9900 in the United States or 800-807-6777 in Canada. Alternatively, you can write to Maytag at: Maytag Brand Customer Service, P.O. Box 310, Ottawa, OH 45875-0310.