- Turn off the electric supply for the sump pump. Locate the power cord for the pump and unplug it from the circuit.
- Bail out as much water as you can from the bottom of the sump pit, if present. This will help make working around the pit easier.
- Locate the sump pump hose. Installations differ, but typically a flexible hose is connected to the outlet on the pump, while the other end connects to a rigid drainpipe.
- Loosen the hose clamp on the end of the hose that's connected to the sump pump. Pull the hose off the pump. Disconnect the other end of the hose from the union or coupling that's connected to the drainpipe. Use a pair of pliers or a wrench, if needed.
- Connect the end of a new hose to the outlet on the pump. Secure it with a hose clamp. Connect the other end of the hose to the union or coupling on the drainpipe. Tighten it with pliers or a wrench. If necessary, install additional coupling hardware or adapters to connect the sump drain hose.
- Reconnect the sump pump to the electrical supply by plugging it back into the socket.
- Run a test when the sump pump well is full again. You can also fill the sump well manually with a garden hose. Watch the hose for leaks. Tighten the clamps or couplings, if needed.
My Sump Pump Hose Is Leaking
If you walk downstairs to find a basement full of water, you might have a problem with your sump pump. These appliances are typically installed in locations that experience a lot of rainfall or have basements that tend to collect water. The pump is connected by a hose to a drainpipe to discharge the water. A leaking sump pump hose isn't doing its job and needs to be replaced as soon as possible.
Things You Will Need
- How to Calculate Air Conditioning Tonnage & Wattage
- Installation of In-Line Water Pumps
- How to Adjust Flow on Pond Pumps
- How to Repair Enamel Paint
- How Can I Clean Grease From a Drain?
- What to Do If Your Sump Pump Continuously Runs?
- How to Find the Drain Line on a GE Refrigerator
- How to Use Vinegar to Disinfect
- Homemade Pipe-Cleaning Solution
- How to Seal a Washer Drain Hose
- How to Dissolve Ink
- How to Connect a Hitachi DVI Television to an HDMI Receiver
- How to Revive NiMH Batteries
- How to Remove Marking Pen Ink Stains From Fabric