- Unplug the washing machine from the wall outlet or turn off the power supply in your service panel.
- Open the washing machine lid and remove any clothes remaining inside.
- Remove the fabric softener cup by squeezing the bottom lip of the cup and lifting it straight off.
- Pry the agitator cap off of the top of the agitator with a flat-head screwdriver.
- Remove the bolt at the bottom of the agitator, using the socket wrench with extension, and then remove the agitator from the washing machine. Tip the agitator to remove the bolt and washer.
- Install the new agitator onto the drive shaft.
- Secure the new agitator with the bolt that you originally removed.
- Press the agitator cap and fabric softener cup back into position on top of the new agitator.
- Restore power to the washing machine to complete the repair.
How to Replace the Agitator on a Whirlpool Ultimate Care II Washing Machine
The Whirlpool Ultimate Care II washing machine is a top-loading clothes washer. The washer has several cycles to choose from, including cycles for washing normal clothes, permanent press items, delicates and items marked "Hand Wash." To do its job, the washing machine relies on an agitator, located in the center of the wash tub. The agitator rotates during the wash cycle, moving the clothes around the wash tub so that they are cleaned equally. If the agitator is broken, it will not sufficiently agitate the clothes and must be replaced.