- Select a location in the bedroom for the smoke alarm. Each bedroom should have a smoke alarm, especially if you keep the doors closed. The smoke alarm should be high on the wall or on the ceiling, at least 6 inches from where the ceiling and wall meet.
- Place batteries in the new smoke detector.
- Affix the adhesive strips to the base of the smoke detector. Most smoke detectors come with adhesive strips, but if yours does not, you can purchase double-sided general purpose adhesive strips from the hardware store for this purpose.
- Climb the ladder underneath the location where you want to place the smoke detector.
- Press the adhesive strips to the spot you have chosen. After holding it there for a few moments, it will stick.
- Test the smoke detector by pressing the "test" button." This causes the smoke detector to emit a loud alarm and it verifies that it is working.
Things You Will Need
- Consider getting a local electrician to install an interconnected smoke alarm system in your home, as this will cause all the fire alarms to go off when one does.
- While some home detectors come with screws, avoid using them as they can cause cracks in your ceiling or wall.