How to Remove the Heat Element From a Whirlpool Ultimate Care II Dryer
Founded in 1911, the Whirlpool Corporation is the world's leading manufacturer and distributor of residential appliances, according to its official website. Whirlpool manufactures a popular line of residential clothes dryers, many of which include the Ultimate Care II feature which shuts off the dryer when your clothes are dry, regardless of whether or not the heating cycle has finished. Removing the heating element from a Whirlpool Ultimate Care II dryer is a simple task that requires no previous experience.
Unplug your Whirlpool Ultimate Care II dryer from its electrical outlet to eliminate the risk of electrical injury.
Pull the appliance away from the wall. Give yourself at least 4 feet of space so that you can comfortably access the rear dryer panel.
Use a Phillips screwdriver to remove the screws that hold the rear panel of the dryer. Set the removed dryer panel and screws aside.
Examine the exposed components to locate the heating element housing; look for a vertical metal box on the right side of the dryer cabinet.
Remove the housing to access the heating element. Note the three wires connected to the heating element housing; pull gently on the wires to detach them. Unscrew and remove the screws that hold the housing to the dryer. Lift the heating element housing up and off the supportive hooks.
Examine the outside of the removed heating element housing to locate the single screw that holds the heating element component inside. Remove the screw and open the housing. Grasp the heating element coils and gently slide them out of the housing.
Things You Will Need
- Phillips screwdriver
- To replace the heating element in your dryer, simply reverse the disassembly instructions. Replacement heating elements can be obtained from the manufacturer or from an appliance parts supply store.
- Unauthorized troubleshooting or repairs may void the manufacturer's warranty on your appliance. Contact Whirlpool customer service for additional repair and warranty information.
- How to Change a Thermistor on a Whirlpool Dryer
- How to Change a Thermostat on a Whirlpool Duet Dryer
- How to Reattach a Dryer Vent Tube
- How to Replace the Light Bulb in a GE Dryer
- How to Change the Light Bulb in a Whirlpool Duet Dryer
- How to Remove the Housing on a PYE2300AYW Maytag Electric Dryer Lint Filter