- Empty the armoire of any and all contents. Set your belongings aside while you convert the armoire into a closet.
- Take out the shelves in the armoire, using a screwdriver to unfasten the shelf retaining screws. Store the shelves out of the way and cover with a drop cloth for re-installation when you no longer need the extra closet space. Reserve the retaining clips in a plastic bag and tape it to one of the shelves for safe keeping.
- Measure in the inside width of your armoire and purchase a closet rod that will fit to that width. In addition, purchase a wood stain that matches the color of your armoire.
- Put on disposable gloves and spread newspaper onto your work surface. Stain the rod mounts and closet rod with the matching stain, using a sponge. Let dry for two to three hours thereafter.
- Fasten the mounting brackets on to each side on the inside of your armoire using a screwdriver and screws.
- Set the closet rod into the mounts on each side, then hang your clothes inside the converted closet.
Things You Will Need
- Plastic bag
- Drop cloth
- Tape measure
- Closet rod
- Rod mounts
- Disposable gloves
- If using a metal closet rod, you can skip the staining.