Things You Will Need
- Several large garbage bags
- Acrylic spray paint
Steel rods, beams and sheets can be used for a number of projects. If you're looking to alter the color of the steel and have been running into dead ends, there is a way.
Although you cannot use "dye" to change the steel's color, you can paint it. Instead of using regular household paint (that can eventually chip away), use an acrylic paint.
It will permanently dye the steel and protect it against rusting. You can also make the steel almost any color you'd like.
- Lay the garbage bags out onto a flat surface in a well-ventilated area. A garage works best for these kinds of projects. Use as many (or as little) garbage bags as you need for your project.
- Lay the steel on top of the bags.
- Shake the can of spray paint thoroughly. Press down on the nozzle to apply a steady stream of paint. Lightly spray over the entire front side of the steel. Make sure you apply an even coat of the paint to the entire side. Allow four hours for the spray paint to dry.
- Turn the steel over. Apply another coating of spray paint to this side of the steel. Allow four hours for the paint to dry. Continue turning the steel over and adding more paint. Do this until you reach your desired color.
- Allow a full 24 hours for the steel to completely dry before using it in any project.