Things You Will Need
- 4 tbsp. salt
- 2 cups white vinegar
- Container with lid
- Sponge or cloth
Burnished brass has an antiqued look that some people prefer to a shiny finish. If you have a piece of brass that you would like to clean up while retaining or enhancing the patina, there is a simple method that will give your brass a burnished luster using some items you probably have around the house.
You can also use this technique to give an aged look to a newer piece of brass.
- Mix salt and white vinegar in a container you can seal to store the mixture.
- Rub the mixture over the brass item with a sponge or cloth.
- Dry the brass piece overnight.
- Rinse the brass in water the next day, and let it dry.
- Repeat the process until you have achieved the desired patina.