How to Clean Silver & Turquoise
Silver and turquoise are commonly used to make jewelry, and they're often paired together in necklaces, bracelets and rings. Silver is a white metallic element that can tarnish from exposure to humidity and oxygen. Common household items can be used to restore shine and luster to your silver pieces. Turquoise is a bluish-green mineral that requires special care and cleaning to prevent discoloration. Turquoise doesn't require any cleaning products to restore its shine and color.
- Apply a small dab of white toothpaste or baking soda to a damp toothbrush.
- Brush the silver with the toothbrush to remove any residue or tarnish. If the silver is paired with turquoise, take care not to cover it with the toothpaste or baking soda.
- Rinse the silver and the toothbrush with clean, cool water to remove any baking soda or toothpaste residue.
- Brush the turquoise gently with the wet toothbrush to remove any dirt or residue.
- Rinse the turquoise with clean, cool water.
- Dry the silver and turquoise with a soft cloth.