Things You Will Need
- Baking soda
- Damp cloth
If you are a smoker or spend time in a smokey environment, your clothes may be left smelling like smoke. Most articles of clothing can be machine washed, and the smell will be erased.
However, more delicate articles like a dress tie require a different cleaning process. A tie's fabric may become discolored and shape warped if it is washed conventionally.
- Lay your tie on a flat surface.
- Sprinkle a thin layer of baking soda on top of the tie. Baking soda absorbs odors and does not harm fabrics.
- Let the baking soda sit on the tie for two to three hours.
- Pick up the tie and dust off the baking soda.
- Wipe the tie clean with a damp cloth.