Things You Will Need
- Glass or ceramic bowl
- Old toothbrush
Nails left outside or near water often develop rust over time. The rust eventually destroys the nail.
Remove the rust to extend the life of the nail or to clean up its appearance. The acid in Coke eats away at the rust, according to the product website.
When handling rusty nails, avoid touching the tips. If you do cut yourself, you may need a tetanus shot.
- Drop the nail or nails into the bowl.
- Pour Coke slowly over the nails to submerge them. Coke, especially if it's fresh, will bubble up and spill over the bowl if you pour too much.
- Soak the nails in the Coke for 30 minutes.
- Dump out the nails and Coke into a sink. Rinse the nails with water.
- Inspect each nail. Scrub off any remaining rust with the toothbrush, and rinse with water.
- Lay the nails out to dry before using or storing.