Things You Will Need
- Cleaning products of your choice
- Ozone machine
- Air freshener
Bad smells in rooms can be caused by a wide assortment of problems, including mold, mothballs, dead animals, cigarettes and fecal matter. Almost any bad smell can be improved with cleaning and time, but it is important to determine what the cause of the smell is and eliminate the problem to keep the bad smell away long term.
Removing bad smells often requires a multifaceted cleaning approach.
- Find the source of your odor and fully remove the items causing the smell. In some cases, a room smells bad because of mold or a single piece of furniture with a severe odor.
- Open all the windows and doors in the room, and place fans in the room to increase ventilation and air it out. Place an ozone machine in the room to absorb smells and odors.
- Clean the room thoroughly with heavily scented cleaning products. Bleach works well for getting rid of bad smells. Shampoo and steam clean carpeting. Scrub the walls, floors and ceilings thoroughly. If the smell persists, you might have to repaint the walls.
- Spray air freshener in the room. You can also use long-lasting air fresheners to improve the smell of the room and cover any lasting odors.