How to Remove Sticky Stains on My Eye Glasses
You may wear your eyeglasses to improve your vision, but stains on them can distract you and interfere with your ability to see clearly. Whether you're driving or walking, clear vision keeps you and those around you safe. Sticky stains are not permanent; you can remove these stains with cleaning supplies that are safe for eyeglasses. Remove stains from your eyeglasses to lengthen their useful life.
Hold your eyeglasses by the frame. Gently rub the sticky stain with a dry, microfiber cloth. Remove as much of the stain as possible.
Wet the stained area with warm water. Apply a drop of dish-washing detergent to your eyeglasses.
Rub the detergent into the sticky stain to gently loosen the stain-causing material. Rinse your eyeglasses with warm water to remove the detergent.
Pour 1/4 cup of white vinegar in a shallow bowl. Add 2 cups of warm water. Submerge the stained area of the glasses in the bowl and allow them to soak for five minutes. This helps remove any remaining sticky stain.
Remove the glasses from the bowl. Rub them gently with a clean cloth to remove the sticky residue and dry your glasses.
- All About Vision; Q and A on Eyeglasses and Eyeglass Lenses; Burt Dubow, et al.; February 2011
- Environmental Law Centre: The Five Basics for Non-Toxic Cleaning -- Vinegar: Removing Stains
- "Mother Earth News"; Greener Cleaners -- 5 Ingredients for Less-Toxic Cleaning; Annie Berthold-Bond; April/May 2004
- Keep a microfiber eyeglass cloth with you to remove fresh stains on the spot. Store your eyeglasses in an eyeglass case between uses to keep them clean and dust-free.
- Eyeglasses can break easily. Use gentle, repeated attempts to remove the stain instead of scrubbing too hard.
Mary Ylisela is a former teacher with a Bachelor of Arts in elementary education and mathematics. She has been a writer since 1996, specializing in business, fitness and education. Prior to teaching, Ylisela worked as a certified fitness instructor and a small-business owner.
- Thinkstock/Comstock/Getty Images
- George Doyle/Stockbyte/Getty Images
- Hemera Technologies/AbleStock.com/Getty Images