How to Fix a Punctured Refrigerator
When your refrigerator interior becomes damaged and punctured, it cannot function properly and will not keep the inside of the fridge at the designated temperature. Replacing the fridge is a costly option that many homeowners cannot afford at the moment. Fortunately, refrigerator repair kits are available to fix the puncture and restore the appliance to working order. For best results, follow the specific instructions included with the repair kit. Furthermore, check if the refrigerator is still under warranty.
Remove all items from the refrigerator and place them inside a cooler filled with ice. Use this time to throw away any spilled or expired food.
Unplug the refrigerator and let it reach room temperature. Wipe the inside of the fridge with paper towels to remove moisture.
Dampen a lint-free cloth with rubbing alcohol and wipe the damaged area clean. Let dry for 15 to 30 minutes.
Mix equal amounts of the epoxy hardener and epoxy resin included with the repair kit together with a plastic spatula.
Spread the mixture over the entire punctured area -- making sure to force the mixture into the puncture -- with the plastic spatula.
Let the epoxy harden per the instructions of the repair kit. Typically, the hardening time frame is several hours.
- If the puncture caused a crack, attach a 1/8-inch bit to a power drill and drill a hole at both ends of the puncture before repairing. This will prevent the crack from spreading.
Amanda Flanigan began writing professionally in 2007. Flanigan has written for various publications, including WV Living and American Craft Council, and has published several eBooks on craft and garden-related subjects. Flanigan completed two writing courses at Pierpont Community and Technical College.
- Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images
- How to Clean the Moisture Sensor in a Kenmore Elite HE3 Dryer
- How to Remove an LG Tromm Laundry Detergent Dispenser
- How Do I Run a Diagnostic Test on My Whirlpool Duet Sport Washer?
- How to Reset a Kenmore Coldspot Filter Indicator
- How to Run a Refrigerator Without a Defrost Timer
- How to Fix Locked Dryer Controls on a Whirlpool Duet