- Remove the drum from the dryer. (LINETTE, HOW DO YOU DO THIS?)
- Remove the plastic baffles from the inside of the drum. (HOW DO YOU DO THIS?)
- Sand inside of the drum with 100 or 120 grit sandpaper.
- Clean the inside of the drum with a paint thinner, such as toluene, that won't leave a residue.
- Apply engine enamel or another high temperature-resistant engine paint (you can purchase this at an auto parts store) to seal off the drum.
- Put the drum out in the sun to dry to a hard finish before reassembling, or reassemble and run without clothes to thoroughly dry paint.
- When drying clothes, throw in fabric softener sheets that contain silicone - these leave a thin, protective film on the drum that prevents rust from forming between loads.
- Check your washer settings to make sure that clothes are not excessively wet before drying, which can also contribute to rusting.