- Change the filter. This should be done on a monthly basis but do it now if it has not been done regularly.
- Turn off the power to your air conditioner.
- Cap your air conditioning drain.
- Find the end of the drain outside your home and use a wet/dry vacuum to suck out unwanted contents from the drain.
- Remove the cap on your drain.
- Wet your air conditioners coils with a hose.
- Spray commercial air conditioner cleaner on the coils and let it set as directed on the bottle.
- Rinse the cleaner off as directed on the bottle.
- Let the air conditioner dry and then turn the power back on.
Things You Will Need
- Drain cap
- Wet/dry vacuum
- Air conditioner cleaner
- You should have a professional vacuum your drain annually to prevent mold buildup.
- If your air conditioner is a window version, clean the coil's fins with the soft brush attachment on your vacuum.
- You can purchase a cap for your drain from your local hardware store.