- Measure the length and width of your mattress and write down the dimensions for future reference.
- Purchase a 4- by 8-foot sheet of 3/4-inch plywood and cut it to the dimensions of your mattress with a circular saw. Alternatively, give the dimensions to an associate at your local home improvement or hardware store where you bought the plywood and request that he cut it for you.
- Slide the sheet of cut plywood underneath the mattress and on top of the box spring to give the mattress more support.
- Purchase a firm mattress pad that fits the size of your mattress -- twin, full, queen or king.
- Unroll the mattress pad from the packaging and place it directly onto the bare mattress.
- Place a fitted sheet over the firm mattress pad to hold it in place on the mattress. Make up the rest of the bed.
Things You Will Need
- Sheet of 3/4-inch plywood
- Firm mattress pad
- If you're unsure of what type of mattress pad to get, ask a sales associate to assist you.