- Measure the thickness of the headboard. Choose four wood screws one inch longer than the headboard is thick.
- Set the headboard up in position where you want it against the bed. Have an assistant hold it in place.
- Screw the headboard to wooden sections of your bed's platform using all four wood screws. Different headboards and platform designs will require different screw position. Aim to space out your wood screws as much as possible, and screw in as far from the ground as the structure allows.
- Measure the distance between the headboard just below the top of your mattress and the wooden platform running under the mattress about 2 feet from the head of the bed.
- Cut two wooden strips to the length you measured previously.
- Screw the wooden strips to opposite sides of the bed, forming additional braces to support a higher point of the headboard. Use two wood screws at each end of each strip, screwing them to the headboard on the top and the bed platform at the bottom.
Things You Will Need
- Measuring tape
- Wood screws
- Wooden strips, 1 inch by 1 inch
- Power drill with screwdriver bits
- Metal bed frames generally have pre-drilled holes on their legs to accept screws.