How to Replace a Dishwasher Pump
In every dishwasher, there is a pump that moves the water and detergent through the machine. It is usually located beneath the lower arm, and it has two impellers. Although its function in the dishwasher is essential, it can sometimes become clogged with food or dish detergent. In addition, some of the pieces can become worn out. Sometimes the pump can be cleaned, but it may be necessary to replace the pump entirely.
Disconnect your dishwasher from its power source. To do this, you may need to unplug the dishwasher or flip a switch on your circuit breaker.
Remove the lower dishrack from the dishwasher.
Unscrew the bolt on top of the spray arm and then remove the spray arm. If there is no bolt, slowly wiggle the spray arm back and forth while pulling upward to remove it.
Remove the screen below the spray arm.
Unscrew the bolts that hold the pump housing in place. Then remove the pump housing itself.
Remove the bolt that holds the upper impeller in place. The remove the upper impeller and the layers beneath it. Remove the food disposal blade, spacer plate, impeller hood, flat plate, O-ring, lower impeller and any washers.
Inspect pieces of the pump. Any pieces not worn can be reused in your new pump. Discard any worn pieces.
Reverse Steps 1 through Step 6 to insert a new pump into your dishwasher. Make sure to rescrew the bolts tightly.
Things You Will Need
- New pump
- As you remove the parts, lay them out in order. That way, you can check the order when you replace the pump.
- If some of the parts of the pump are dirty, you can soak them in a solution of water and detergent before rinsing them in warm water.
- All washers connected to the pump should be replaced.
- Be careful not to cut yourself on the dishwasher blades when replacing them.
- How to Remove a Chopper in a Kenmore Ultra Wash
- How to Clear a Bosch Dishwasher Drain Pump
- How to Keep a Dishwasher From Tilting Forward When the Door Is Opened
- How to Check the Filter in an LG Dishwasher
- How to Repair a KitchenAid Dishwasher Model KUDS24SE Shaft
- How to Remove a Drain Pump From a Whirlpool Washing Machine