How to Replace a Spray Arm on a Kenmore Dishwasher
Most spray arm failures can be remedied by cleaning them off. Stickers from dishes and other kind of debris can attach to the holes on the spray arm. There are other times, though, when a spray arm will have to be replaced. Avoid frustration by knowing how to replace a spray arm on a Kenmore dishwasher. With a couple of tools and some patience, you can remove the old arm and install a new one yourself.
Remove and Replace
- Disconnect the power supply to the dishwasher at the circuit breaker in the household electrical panel.
- Open the dishwasher and remove the bottom dish rack.
- Loosen the retaining nut by turning it counterclockwise with a pipe wrench. Lift the spray arm assembly off of the pump housing and out of the dishwasher.
- Remove the retaining screw from the bottom of the assembly with an appropriate-size Allen wrench.
- Pull off the split ring seal, the support assembly and the retaining nut from the spray arm.
- Insert the support assembly into the new spray arm and slide the split ring seal over it.
- Slide the retaining nut back on the assembly and reattach the retaining screw on the bottom of the assembly.
- Insert the spray arm assembly back into the pump housing and tighten the retaining nut on the housing.
- Place the dish rack back inside the dishwasher and close the door.
- Turn the circuit breaker on to restore power to the dishwasher.
Things You Will Need
- Pipe wrench
- Allen wrench set
- Always disconnect electrical power before repairing appliances.