- Measure width and depth of each stair on the staircase. Each stair could be a different measurement, so measure carefully.
- Pay attention to whether the stairs have a nose or not, because if there is a nose (or ledge), that measurement needs to be added so the tread fits correctly.
- Select the stair tread.
- Align treads on the stairs so that they are centered, and make a mark on the edges so that the tread can be easily aligned after the adhesive has been applied.
- Remove the treads and apply stair tread adhesive. The adhesive must bond to rubber or plastic as well as wood or metal.
- Carefully place the stair treads back in position as aligned with the markings from Step 3.
- Allow the adhesive to dry at least 24 hours, or the recommended dry time for the adhesive used, before using the stairway.
Things You Will Need
- Tape measure
- Stair tread adhesive
- Vinyl stair treads
- Marking pen or pencil
- Measure before buying stair treads so the proper size can be purchased. If there is a nose on the stairs, the same procedure (using the adhesive) can be used; there will just be more tread needed to cover the stairs correctly.