Small Cast-Iron Objects
- Pour 2 L. of Coke into a bucket, tub or sink.
- Let the cast-iron object soak in the Coke for 24 hours.
- Rinse the Coke off the cast iron with clean water. Dry the object with a clean cloth.
- Apply a light coat of wax or vegetable oil with a clean, dry cloth to protect the cast iron from future rust.
Large Cast-Iron Objects
- Set your cast-iron object on top of a tarp. It is best to clean your large cast-iron object in a garage or outside, as the cleaning process can get messy.
- Pour Coke over the rusty spots of the cast-iron object. Let the Coke sit on the rust for 15 minutes.
- Saturate a sponge with Coke and scrub the rusty spots.
- If the rust remains, pour more Coke on the cast iron. Wait 15 minutes and scrub again. Repeat this process as often as needed until all of the rust is removed.
- Rinse the cast iron with clean water. Dry the object with a clean cloth.
- Coat the cast iron with wax or oil to prevent future rust.