- Connect the propane tank to the 7-in-1 smoker. Test the connection between the hose and grill for gas leaks with soapy water. Escaping gas causes bubbling in the water if leaks are present. Limit the test of the gas line to no more than 12 seconds, and wait five minutes after the test to light the grill.
- Place wood chips in the flame disk bowl and marinade or water in the water bowl during gas-heated smoking operations. Place the meat on the grill after lighting the burner and adjusting the flame to a proper level. The marinade or water is eliminated in dry smoking operations. Place the smoker body on top of the base unit with the grill and lid above.
- Remove the water bowl and smoker body when the 7-in-1 smoker and grill is used for grilling food with propane. The gas burner provides direct heat to the grill area for cooking. Follow instructions for lighting the burner, and adjust to the proper level for cooking.
- Place the included kettle over the gas burner for boiling or steaming operations. You can also use the kettle for deep frying. Follow manufacturer instructions and recipes for cooking or steaming food in the kettle.
- Place charcoal in the flame disk bowl in the base of the 7-in-1 smoker and grill. Light the charcoal by briefly lighting the gas burner. Also light the charcoal by following conventional charcoal lighting procedures using starter fluid of paper. Always follow manufacturer instructions while lighting the 7-in-1 smoker and grill.
- Place wood chips amidst the charcoal in the flame disk bowl for smoking operations. Add water or marinade to the water bowl for wet smoking. Place the smoker body on the base with the grill on top of the body. Place meat on the grill for smoking.
- Remove the smoker body and water bowl from the 7-in-1 smoker and grill when the device is used for grilling. The grill is placed above the base, allowing grilling of meat over the direct heat generated by the charcoal.