- Wash the tile surface with a solution of warm water and dish soap, using a rag. Make sure all oils, soap residue and dirt are removed. Rinse completely, then dry with a soft towel.
- Apply painter's tape around the edges of the tile so you do not get paint on the surrounding countertops or walls.
- Brush on a layer of acrylic enamel surface conditioner, using a soft paintbrush. The tiles will have a hazy appearance. Wait for the haze to disappear.
- Paint the tiles with an acrylic enamel tile paint and another paintbrush, painting into the grooves between tiles for the cleanest finish. Let the tiles dry completely.
- Apply a glossy or satin acrylic enamel glaze over the tiles with a paintbrush. Glossy glazes will give the tiles a shiny appearance, while satin glazes have low luster. Let the tiles dry for at least 10 days, or according to the manufacturer's directions.
Things You Will Need
- Dish soap
- Painter's tape
- Soft paintbrushes
- Enamel surface conditioner
- Enamel glaze
- Before applying the glaze, place a stencil over the dried, painted tile and paint over it to create designs on the tiles.