How to Repair an Electrolux Vacuum Hose
Electrolux and other vacuums work by drawing in air. This air can either come in through a sweeper, on upright models, or through a hose, on canister and upright attachments. As the hose draws the air into the vacuum, dust and debris are trapped inside a bag. Because these vacuum hoses are built to be bent and turned, they can sometimes crack or leak. When that happens, you should repair your Electrolux vacuum hose as soon as possible to restore its working efficiency.
- Identify the break or tear in the Electrolux vacuum hose that needs to be repaired. This may be easier if the hose is in use. Use your hand to feel up and down the hose for air escaping. Make a note of the leak location. Turn off the Electrolux and unplug it from the wall.
- Apply the alcohol to the rag and clean off an area around the leak or tear. Start at least 3 inches from the top of the leak and continue to 3 inches below. This will help remove any dust or residue from the Electolux vacuum hose and allow the repair tape to grip better.
- Apply the tape to the clean area above the leak. Start wrapping the tape around the hose clockwise. Overwrap the tape over half of its width each time you wrap around and slowly wind down the hose.
- Continue wrapping the tape around the hose until you have passed the leak. Wrap for another 3 inches until you reach the end of the area that you cleaned.
- Trim off the end of the tape with the scissors.
Things You Will Need
- Rubbing alcohol
- Duct tape
- This procedure is at best a temporary fix. To fully repair your Electrolux vacuum hose, it should be replaced. These can be purchased from Electrolux or an online shop selling replacement parts (see Resources, below).