- Disconnect the washer from its power source. Slide a putty knife underneath the top panel, stopping in-line with the lid's groove, to hit the unlatch switch. Remove the washer's front panel. With the washer lid open, run a flathead screwdriver underneath the top, right panel. Press on the switch to dislocate the top panel.
- Once inside the unit, locate the motor -- the silver, cylinder shape gadget -- that is attached to the driver belt. Spin the belt with your hand. If the belt refuses to turn, replace the motor.
- Disconnect the wires with a set of needle-nose pliers. To disconnect, clip the two wire leads from the wiring harness. The wires are held in place with metal slip-on connectors. Grasp the connectors with the pliers, then pull on these connectors to remove the wires. Do not pull on the wires themselves.
- Remove the motor's 3/8-inch mounting bolts with an adjustable wrench. Tilt the motor back, then lift it out from the driver belt.
- Mount the replacement motor. Reattach the wires into the connectors by inserting the color-coded wires -- red, blue and yellow -- to their designated connectors. For example, connect the red wire to the red-tip-colored connector. Repeat reattachment for all other wires. Reassemble the front panel and lid.
How to Wire a GE Washer Motor
According to the GE website, the GE washing machine brand is designed to provide the user with an efficient, high performing and convenient appliance. If your GE washer is not spinning and if you hear constant humming, then the motor could have gotten stuck or damaged. If you are unable to spin the motor, contact a local GE manufacturer for a replacement. Refer to the owner's manual before disconnecting and rewiring the motor.
Things You Will Need
- How to Fix an Admiral Washing Machine Belt
- How to Repair a Washer Machine Timer
- How to Grease the Bearings on a Maytag Dryer
- How to Replace Grill Burners
- How to Troubleshoot a Kenmore Washer Timer
- How to Fix the Tub on a GE Washing Machine
- How to Replace a Lid Switch on a Roper Washing Machine
- How to Take Apart a KitchenAid Washer
- How to Wire a Westinghouse 77021 Switch
- How to Replace a Switch on a Kenmore Dryer
- How to Remove a Panel on a Kenmore Series 80 Electric Dryer
- How to Troubleshoot a Maytag Dryer That Does Not Turn On
- How to Clean Lime From Coffee Pots
- How to Use Food Saver Canisters