How to Recycle Saw Blades
Aluminum and steel are two materials that are frequently wasted. Every day, in cans and beverage containers alone, Americans throw away enough steel and aluminum to rebuild the nation's entire fleet of commercial aircraft every three months, according to Green Student U. Virgin aluminum and steel require great amounts of energy to process their raw ores into the end product. Recycling these products, on the other hand, takes only a fraction of the energy of extracting them from ores. Recycling unwanted household metal items, like saw blades, can help the environment by saving both energy and natural resources.
Finding a Metal Recycling Location
- Locate a recycling facility or scrap yard near you.
- Call the facility to verify that they accept the kind of metal you want to recycle. You can also check to see if they are solely a drop-off facility, or if they purchase the metal you're trying to recycle to sell it wholesale to companies to recycle and use.
- Take your saw blade, and/or any other metal items that you wish to dispose of, to the facility and collect your payment if the facility pays for scrap metal.
- There are a variety of resources to help you find a facility where you can recycle your metal. These include simple Internet searches for scrap yards, a phone book, mailing from your city government about its recycling facilities, and the websites of organizations like the Steel Recycling Institute and the Aluminum Association. Both these organizations have tools that help you locate places near you where you can recycle your metal items.
- Unlike plastics or plastics, which have strict recycling categories, almost any type of steel or aluminum can be recycled over and over again.
- If you want to get money for the metal you are recycling, remember to make sure the facility you're going to is not just a drop-off area. Also, remember that scrap yards don't just pay for steel and aluminum. Any kind of metal you bring in you could potentially both save from the landfill and make money off it at the same time.