- Lift the bottom sash of the window until the bottom edge is above the highest point of the sill and trim underneath the window. Locate and press the two releases on the top of the window sash toward the center and tilt the top of the window out until the latches clear the side jambs, then release the latches.
- Continue tilting the window down until it is 90 degrees out from the window frame. Lift the bottom edge of the window up sharply at one side to disengage the tilt hinge pin. Lift up on the opposite side to disengage the pin on that side and lift the sash from the window.
- Remove the top sash from the window by pulling it down until the top is clear of the header. Find and release the two latches on the top of the window, tilt it 90 degrees out from the window and lift up on the corners as for the lower sash.
- Replace one or both of the sashes with new sashes from the maker. Replace the top sash first if it was removed. Snap one corner of the bottom edge into position, in the reverse of the removal process. Snap the opposite corner down into position and lift the top of the sash up, tilting it in until the sash is upright.
- Push the release catches on the top of the sash in toward the center and push the window into the frame until the latches clear the jambs. Release the latches.
Things You Will Need
- Replacement sash
- Some brands of gas-charged windows can be recharged and have a new seal installed. Consult your owner's manual for specifics.