How to Update Mirrored Closet Doors
Mirrored closet doors are often a design challenge when updating your room. Although it may seem like there is little you can do to update the doors, you can apply a variety of treatments to them to make them work within your overall makeover. One effective option for updating mirrored doors is to apply a grid of frosted window film over the doors. This will create a contemporary and fresh look that will work well with any room design. You'll tone down the overwhelming mirrored effect with the refined frosted look of the film.
- Measure the mirrored closet doors to determine the overall dimensions of each door panel. Subtract an inch from the length and width measurements for each panel. This will be the size that you will cut each frosted window film panel so that there will be a 1-inch mirrored border around the frosted panel on each door.
- Roll out the frosted window film onto a cutting mat.
- Cut the frosted window film to the required dimensions for each door panel using a rotary cutter and a straight edge as a guide.
- Remove the backing from the frosted window film.
- Align the frosted window film in the center of the door panel with the sticky side facing the mirrored surface of the door. Press the frosted window film against the mirrored surface with your hands. Smooth out any bubbles and make sure you've applied it evenly.
- Repeat Steps 4 and 5 to apply the film to each door panel.
Things You Will Need
- Tape measure
- Roll of frosted window film
- Cutting mat
- Straight edge
- Rotary cutter
- Create a grid or pattern using the frosted window film on the door panels for more visual interest.
- Keep your fingers out of the path of the rotary cutter when you are cutting the window film to size.