How to Refresh Carpet
Carpet is one of the most common flooring choices. It looks nice, helps keep the home warm and is an effective sound barrier. However, carpet is porous and collects dirt, making it look old and dingy. In order to keep your carpet fresh, it is important to keep up on its maintenance. Carpets get dingy faster if dirt gets ground into them.
- Clean any stains by moistening them with water and rubbing borax in using a stiff-bristle brush. Allow the borax to sit on the stain until it's dry and then vacuum up the borax.
- Sprinkle baking soda over the entire carpet and allow it to sit overnight. The baking soda will soak up the odors in the carpet. Vacuum the baking soda the next morning.
- Vacuum the entire carpet regularly. Go over all the carpet with the vacuum with three strokes on each section. If the carpet is heavily soiled, go over it seven times. Do this each time to keep the carpet looking fresh and clean.
Things You Will Need
- Scrub brush
- Baking soda
- Rent or buy a carpet cleaner to wash the carpet if it is heavily soiled.
- In high traffic areas, put rugs and runners over the carpet to protect it.