How to Clean Leaf Stains Off of Bluestone
Bluestone is a smooth stone used for patios, outdoor stairs and pathways. Leaf stains can ruin the appearance of a bluestone patio. Leaves from deciduous trees or needles from evergreens fall on the stone and begin to decompose. As the organic materials break down they leave stubborn stains on bluestone. Cleaning bluestone requires a method tough enough to remove the stain but not so tough that it affects the surface of the stone.
Sweep the bluestone patio to remove leaves, evergreen needles and other debris. Hose off mud and decomposed leaf parts from the patio surface.
Put on plastic waterproof gloves and safety goggles. Wear waterproof boots and protective clothing to keep the bleach solution off your skin. Bleach will ruin good clothes by permanently discoloring them so don't wear anything you particularly care about.
Fill a bucket with 10 parts warm water and one part household bleach and mix the solution thoroughly.
Cover plants with a plastic drop cloth to keep the bleach from splashing on the leaves and soil and damaging the garden areas around your bluestone.
Pour the bleach and water solution onto the leaf stains on the bluestone and let it sit for five minutes.
Scrub the stains with a medium bristled brush until the stains lift and fade.
Hose off the patio with clean water and let it dry completely.
- Avoid using pressure washers on bluestone as the intensity of the water spray can penetrate the porous of the rock and affect the surface color and texture.
- Once you get the stains out of the bluestone, consider sealing it with a stone sealer to prevent further stains.
- Bleach is toxic, avoid contact with skin and eyes and wear protective clothing.
- Store bleach in a place where children and pets cannot get into the bottle.
Eulalia Palomo has been a professional writer since 2009. Prior to taking up writing full time she has worked as a landscape artist and organic gardener. Palomo holds a Bachelor of Arts in liberal studies from Boston University. She travels widely and has spent over six years living abroad.
- Jupiterimages/Comstock/Getty Images