Ventilate the room with the moldy walls by opening a window or running an exhaust fan. This helps get rid of the offensive odor from the mold and allows fresh air into the room so you don't breathe in the mold spores.
Wear rubber gloves and goggles to prevent the cleaners from irritating your skin or getting into your eyes. Wear an Occupational and Safety Hazard-approved mask to prevent breathing in mold.
Mix a mild dish-washing liquid or a mild laundry detergent with warm water. Wash the moldy wall area with the warm, soapy water. A sponge is effective in washing the wall. Allow the wall to dry.
Pour 1/4 cup of regular household bleach into a clean bucket. Add 1 gallon of water.
Dip a clean sponge into the bleach solution and wring it out well. Wipe the wall area with the sponge, covering all the surface affected by mold. Allow it to sit for 20 minutes and repeat the step. Wait another 20 minutes before proceeding.
Pour approximately 1 cup of a borax detergent into a gallon of water. Allow the borax detergent to dissolve. Wipe it on the wall area with a damp sponge and allow it to dry on the walls. This prevents recurrence of mold growth.
Things You Will Need
- Rubber gloves
- Occupational and Safety Hazard-approved mask
- Liquid dish-washing or mild laundry detergent
- Cleaning sponges
- Measuring cup
- Household bleach
- Borax detergent
- Prevent mold growth on walls by keeping them clean and dry. Humid conditions encourage mold and mildew growth.