- Shut off the cold water valve under the sink, turning the knob on the right-hand pipe clockwise. This is just a precaution to take before hooking up the Whirlpool to the water line. A second knob on the pipe above the valve shuts off the water flow to the refrigerator. This knob should already be turned as far clockwise as possible, or you would have leaking water in the kitchen where the refrigerator is located.
- Unplug the refrigerator power cord from the wall outlet. Slip one end of the coupling nut over the threaded copper pipe on the wall behind the Whirlpool, if the pipe does not already have a coupling attached. Tighten clockwise by hand.
- Bend the pipe gently. Insert the vertical pipe on the back of the Whirlpool on the upper right side into the other end of the coupling on the water pipe. Twist the coupling clockwise by hand.
- Tighten each end of the coupling clockwise with pliers. Turn on the water at both valves beneath the sink and check for leaks behind the Whirlpool before reconnecting the refrigerator to the electrical outlet. If the connection leaks, shut off the water and reconnect the coupling on both sides.
How to Hook Up a Water Line to a Whirlpool Refrigerator Model ED22PWXAN00
The Whirlpool ED22PWXAN00 is a side-by-side refrigerator with a nozzle on the rear to hook up the ice maker and water dispenser. A single copper feed pipe supplies cold water to the ice maker and the pump for through-the-door water dispensing. Check the existing tube on the wall where the refrigerator is normally installed, as the tube may already be equipped with a 1/4-inch coupling for connecting to the Whirlpool. If not, the coupling is a standard part you can purchase at plumbing and hardware stores.
Things You Will Need
- How to Find the Drain Line on a GE Refrigerator
- How to Connect a Dishwasher
- How to Locate the Drain Tube in a Refrigerator
- How to Repair a Dripping Showerhead
- How Do I Replace a Shower Stall Faucet?
- How to Replace a Flexible Supply Line for a Kitchen Faucet
- How to Install a Pipe on a Wood Burning Stove
- Ice in Freezer of a New Refrigerator Tastes Bad
- How to Tell What Year a GE Range Is by the Model or Serial Number
- How to Convert a Three-Handle Tub Valve to a Single Handle
- How to Install Compression Fittings on a 1/4 Water Line
- How Do I Replace a Delta Monitor Tub Spout with Diverter Stem?
- How to Replace a Leaky Outdoor Faucet
- Fixing a Delta Shower With Low Water Pressure