- Connect the Maytag dishwasher to a grounded three-prong electrical outlet if it's not operating at all. Reset or replace the fuse or circuit breaker if necessary.
- Push down on the thumb release on the top of the water faucet connector and set the connector on the water faucet if the connector doesn't seem to be fitting correctly. Release the thumb release and gently pull the connector to ensure it's connected firmly to the faucet.
- Turn the hot water on at the faucet both prior to connecting the hose and again before starting the dishwasher if the water temperature in the dishwasher doesn't seem hot enough.
- Remove the knock-out plug from the garbage disposer inlet if the dishwasher is connected to a kitchen sink and isn't draining well. Lift the drain hose at least 32 inches up off the floor for proper draining and keep the drain hose straight.
- Clean out the detergent dispenser with a clean, dry cloth if there's detergent residue in the cup after using the dishwasher. Use fresh detergent and load the dishwasher so that items don't block the detergent cup.
- Pour baking soda into both sides of the detergent dispenser and select "Light Wash" if the dishwasher develops an odor. Start the dishwasher and then stop after 10 minutes by opening the door. Leave the dishwasher for several hours, preferably overnight, and then close the door firmly to restart the unit.
- Rinse dishes prior to setting in the dishwasher if there's residue after washing. Measure the recommended amount of fresh detergent and don't overload the dishwasher racks. Run hot water at the faucet before running the dishwasher.
How to Troubleshoot a Maytag Portable Dishwasher MDC5100AWW
The Maytag MDC5100AWW is a portable dishwasher designed for kitchens and areas without room for a permanent dishwasher or where a permanent dishwasher is not installed. The dishwasher is on rollers and can be stored in a closet or elsewhere and then rolled into the kitchen or bathroom for use as needed. The dishwasher also has an adjustable upper rack, folding tines, removable utensil basket and a rinse aid and detergent dispenser cup. While the dishwasher should operate well if installed correctly to a power and water supply, you can fix minor problems.