- Unplug the dryer's power cord or shut off the house gas supply at the main valve if setting up a gas dryer.
- Measure the distance from the round vent on the wall in your laundry room to the spot where you wish to place the dryer, using the tape measure. The vent probably will not be at the same level as the vent on the dryer, so you will need to allow for a curve in the vent hose. The hose cannot be bent to an angle less than 90 degrees. Add 18 inches to the measurement so you will have enough room to work behind the dryer and connect the hose before sliding the appliance close to the wall.
- Cut the vent hose to the required length based on your measurements, using the metal cutting shears.
- Slide a round clamp over each end of the vent hose.
- Push one end of the hose over the vent port on the back of the dryer and tighten the screw in the clamp to secure the hose. Attach the other end of the hose to the wall vent in the same manner.
- Plug in the dryer power cord to the round electrical socket on the wall or attach the flex hose on a gas dryer to the gas line behind the appliance. Tighten the rotating connector on the gas hose with pliers, then turn on the main gas valve. Plug in the standard power cord for a gas dryer, which also uses electricity to spark the ignitor system for the gas heater and drives the electric motor that spins the clothes drum.
- Slide the dryer gently back toward the wall. Look over the control panel to watch the vent hose and be sure the appliance does not crush it against the wall.
How to Put a Dryer Close to a Wall
If you have a tight space, you can place your clothes dryer within 4 inches of the back wall. Connecting the dryer any closer to the wall runs the risk of crimping or even crushing the vent hose, which can overheat the appliance and cause mechanical problems that may require repairs. Cutting the vent hose as short as possible will let you slide the dryer close to the wall.
Things You Will Need
- Building Codes for Dryer Vents
- How to Move a Dryer Vent's Hose From the Back to the Side
- How to Clean Your RV Refrigerator Burner
- Instructions for Marshall LP Regulators
- How to Hook Up a Dryer Vent in a Small Place
- How to Troubleshoot a Broken Dryer
- Instructions for a Whirlpool Duet Front Load Dryer Rack W10121663
- How to Convert a Coleman Camp Stove to Propane
- How to Put a Dryer Rack in a Dryer
- How to Measure for a Washing Machine
- How to Repair a Crosley Dryer
- How to Install a Dryer Vent Through Vinyl Siding
- Kenmore 80 Series Electric Dryer Won't Start
- How to Change a Thermistor on a Whirlpool Dryer