How to Clean an A/C Filter
During the summer, you are likely to use you're A/C often to help cool down your home. In fact, an air conditioning system can get quite a bit of use during the hot and humid times of the year. If you neglect to clean you're A/C filter when your air conditioner is getting a lot of use, then the filter can get clogged up with dirt and debris, which affect the performance of your A/C. To avoid this, take the time to clean your air conditioning filter a few times during the time of year when you use it most.
- Remove the A/C filter. This process can vary depending on your model and whether you have a whole house system or a window air conditioner. Check your owner's manual.
- Run the A/C filter under warm running water to remove dust and debris.
- Continue holding the filter under the water. When the water starts to run clear, remove the filter.
- Lay the filter flat on a towel and wait for it to be completely dry before putting it back inside your air conditioning system.
Things You Will Need
- Not all A/C units have washable filters. Some simply need replaced when they get dirty. Consult your owner's manual.