Diagnosing Clogged Ducts
- Turn on the central air-conditioning unit. Wait one to two seconds for the compressor to turn on.
- Walk to each duct in the home. Place the back of your hand under the vent. Evaluate the level of air flow coming from the vent.
- Inspect the vent for visible buildup of dust.
- Use a screwdriver to remove the vent cover.
- Inspect the inner duct with a flashlight for excessive buildup of dust. Use a vacuum cleaner crevice tool to remove dust from inside the duct.
Things You Will Need
- A/C filter
- Replace the air-conditioning filter once every 30 days to prevent dust buildup. Preventing dust buildup assures the air flows freely from the ducts and vents. Free-flowing vents maintain the efficiency of the air conditioning system.
- Have the ducts professionally cleaned, if the system is prone to dust buildup or if the buildup of dust and debris is severe.