How to Replace the Evaporator Fan in a Sears Kenmore Elite Refrigerator
Kenmore Elite refrigerators rely on an evaporator to vaporize the refrigerator's coolant, which helps cool the refrigerator. The coolant passes through the evaporator coils, which are located behind the freezer wall. An evaporator fan is located above the coils which pulls cool air behind the wall, keeping the evaporator coils cool. If the evaporator fan fails, the coils will increase in temperature, hindering the refrigerator's ability to cool. To restore functionality to your refrigerator, replace the evaporator fan at the first sign of failure.
Unplug the refrigerator from the wall outlet.
Open the refrigerator door and then remove all of the contents, including the shelves and drawers. Remove the screws securing the drawer rails and remove.
Remove the screws securing the rear interior panel of the freezer into position. Remove the panel.
Lift the upper panel and then pull out the evaporator fan shroud. Disconnect the wire harness on the rear of the motor and remove the shroud from the cabinet.
Pull the fan blade off the motor.
Pull the bracket and fan motor off the back of the shroud.
Install the new motor onto the shroud, pushing it into position, then securing with the bracket.
Connect the wire harness to the refrigerator's evaporator fan wire connector.
Place the shroud back into the refrigerator, then lower the upper panel.
Reassemble the freezer by reversing the steps used to take it apart.
Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
Things You Will Need
- Wire strippers
- Wire connectors
- Wire crimpers
- If the new motor's wire connector does not match the refrigerator wire connector, you must connect the wires manually, using wire connectors. Cut the wires as close as possible to each connector, then strip approximately 1/4 inch of insulation off each wire. Insert each similarly colored wire into a wire connector, then squeeze the connector with a wire crimper to secure.
- How to Replace a Whirlpool Dishwasher Soap Dispenser
- The Cause of a Noisy Evaporator Fan in the Kenmore Freezer
- How to Replace the Motor Pulley in a Maytag Dryer
- How to Replace the Heater in a Kenmore Stackable Dryer
- Kenmore Freezer Battery Installation
- How to Replace a Thermal Fuse in an Admiral Capacity Plus Dryer