- Place your sweat-stained cap on a clean towel. Moisten a clean sponge with undiluted vinegar. Sponge the sweat stains with the vinegar to loosen and lift the stains. Rinse the sponge with water before applying more vinegar and continuing to sponge the cap for a few minutes longer.
- Prepare a solution made with enzyme stain remover and water in a bucket. Use the ratio of stain remover to water suggested on the packaging. Soak your cap in the solution for a minimum of 30 minutes or as long as overnight for severe sweat stains. The enzymes break down proteins in the sweat, making it easier to remove the stains.
- Remove your cap from the enzyme solution. Place the cap on the top shelf of the dishwasher; do not put any dishes in the dishwasher along with the cap. Add dishwasher detergent as normal and fill the rinse agent reservoir with white vinegar to freshen and deodorize the cap.
- Run the dishwasher on a regular cycle. Remove the cap from the dishwasher and lay it on a clean towel, out of direct sunlight. If necessary, place a softball under the cap to help hold its shape while it dries. Allow the cap to air dry completely.
Things You Will Need
- White vinegar
- Enzyme stain remover
- Dishwasher detergent
- Softball (optional)
- Wash canvas sneakers in the dishwasher, too.
- Treat an extremely dirty and sweaty baseball cap by soaking it in undiluted vinegar for 30 minutes before moving onto the enzyme solution.