- Remove the black rubber covering the spark plug. Disconnect the spark plug by pulling off its wire from where it is connected.
- Take off the bolts securing the starter shroud with a wrench. Remove the starter shroud. Turn its pulley counterclockwise until it cannot turn any longer, then hold the pulley in place with vice-grip pliers. Untie the knot at the center of the pulley to remove the old pull cord.
- Slip the end of a new pull cord into its hole in the starter shroud. Pull in this end and run it into the knot hole inside the pulley.
- Tie the end of the cord into a knot. Apply heat from the flames of a lighter to the frayed ends of the knotted cord to singe it. Pull the cord taut to rest the knot against the inside of the knot hole.
- Release the vice-grip pliers to let the pulley roll up the new cord. Replace the starter shroud and bolt it down with a wrench. Reconnect the spark plug and replace the black rubber covering it.
How to Install a Pull Cord on a Tiller
A tiller makes gardening a lot easier, especially the process of cultivation. This gasoline-powered machine is used to dig up and prepare the soil. The pull cord or starter rope is used to start a tiller. It is connected to the motor and wrapped around the spring-loaded pulley. The pull cord will wear thin with repeated use, and must be replaced. Installing a new pull cord does not take more than a few minutes.
Things You Will Need
- How to Tie Snap Hooks to Flagpole Halyards
- How to Repair Satellite Cable Wire
- How to Replace a Circuit Breaker With a Higher Amp
- Centrifugal Pump Disassembly Instructions
- How to Replace a Thermal Fuse in an Admiral Capacity Plus Dryer
- How to Change the Speed on a Drill Press
- How to Splice Bungee Rope
- How to Remove an Engine Pulley From an MTD Riding Mower
- How to Wire a Char-Broil Ignitor
- How to Change a Thermostat on a Whirlpool Duet Dryer
- How to Replace a Lightbulb Socket
- How to Connect the Wires to a Whirlpool Dryer Motor
- How to Mount a Light on a Ceiling With Radiant Heat
- How to Replace a Bathtub Drain Flange