How to Convert to LP Gas on a Tappan Gas Stove
Tappan gas stoves are built to use natural gas. If you live in an area where natural gas is unavailable and you have to use LP gas, you need to convert the stove before you can use it. This is because LP gas and natural gas operate under different pressures. To use the stove with LP gas, you have to install a smaller orifice. If you connect LP gas to a stove that is set up for natural gas, the flame will be too large and there is the possibility of explosion.
Turn off the gas supply to the stove if there is an existing connection. Disconnect the gas supply from the stove using an adjustable wrench. Remove the grates from the burners on the stove and set them aside.
Remove the existing orifice from each burner using a nut driver. Place a small piece of the paper towel on the opening of the nut driver. Place each new orifice into the nut driver and install them into the burner tubes. The paper towel keeps the orifice from falling out of the nut driver when you install them.
Remove the hex nut from the regulator underneath the range using an adjustable wrench. Remove the plastic pin from inside the regulator and flip it over. Reinstall the hex nut and tighten it with the adjustable wrench just enough to make it snug. Do not over-tighten it.
Adjust the oven orifice by tightening down on the brass fitting using an open-end wrench. Some Tappan models may have separate burners; one for the main oven and a separate one for the broiler. If yours has two, you will need to adjust both of them.
Connect the LP gas line to the stove and tighten the fitting using an adjustable wrench. Turn the gas supply valve on.
Things You Will Need
- LP conversion kit
- Adjustable wrench
- Nut driver set
- Paper towel
- Wrench set
- If you drop an orifice inside the stove when you are installing them, you will need a Torx driver to disassemble the burner to retrieve it.
- Never smoke when working with gas lines and appliances.
- Maytag Glass Top Stove Burner Element Replacement Instructions
- How to Find the Model Number on My Members Mark Grill
- How to Replace the Oven Igniter on a Hotpoint Stove
- How to Get the Lock off a GE Monogram Oven
- How to Remove a GE Profile Oven's Control Panel
- How Much Energy Does a Whirlpool Stove Use Per Hour?